A Resource for the Re-entry Population of Greater Worcester
Currently Browsing: Legal Assistance


For information about the new CORI Law that went into effect May 2012, and how to seal your CORI record, please visit: massresources.org/cori.html and workforcecentralma.org/additional-programs/re-entry

It is recommended that you seal your record if possible. Most employers will not be able to view a sealed record on your CORI report.

EPOCA (Ex-Prisoners and Prisoners Organizing for Community Advancement)
4 King Street, Worcester, MA 01610
Services: Ex-prisoners and current prisoners, along with allies, friends and family, working together to create resources and opportunities for those who have paid their debt to society

Workforce Central
44 Front Street, #600, Worcester, MA 01608
(508) 799-1600
Services: Program designed by workforce development professionals and former offenders to create opportunities for people to prove themselves

*Information provided by EPOCA and the Workforce Central Career Center


BAR None – CORI and the Sealing of Criminal Records

The CORI Personal Request Form can be accessed at the following web address: Website: http://www.mass.gov/courts/selfhelp/criminal-law/seal-record.html

Budgeting, Credit Repair and Identity Theft

What is a Credit Report?

A credit report contains information about your credit history and the status of your credit accounts. This information includes how often you make your payments on time, how much credit you have, how much credit you have available, how much credit you are using, and whether a debt collector is collecting on any debt you owe. Credit reports also can contain public records such as liens, judgments, and bankruptcies that provide insight into your financial status and obligations.

Lenders use these reports to help them decide if they will loan you money, what interest rates they will offer you, or to check the status of an existing loan. Companies can purchase these consumer credit reports to help inform them while making a wide range of business decisions such as providing or pricing insurance; renting you an apartment; and (if you agree to let them look at your consumer report) making employment decisions about you. Credit reporting companies (also known as credit bureaus or consumer reporting agencies) compile these reports.

How do I get a copy of my Credit Report?

Visit AnnualCreditReport.com to get a free copy of your credit report, technically known as a “file disclosure” from the nationwide credit reporting companies. You can receive a free credit report once every 12 months:

Annual Credit Report Request Service
P.O. Box 105281
Atlanta, GA 30348-5281

No matter which method you choose, you have the option to request reports from the nationwide credit reporting companies at once or one report at a time. By requesting the reports at the same time, you can determine whether any of your files have errors. By requesting the reports separately, you can monitor your credit file more frequently throughout the year. Your free credit report does not include a credit score. You are also eligible for free reports from nationwide specialty consumer reporting companies.

Be aware that there are many websites that claim to offer free credit reports. A number of these sites will only give you a free report if you buy other products or services. Still others give you a free report and then bill you for services you have to cancel. To get the free credit report authorized by law, go to AnnualCreditReport.com, and nowhere else.


Budget and Credit Repair

Go to http://www.justice.gov for an approved list of credit counseling agencies

American Consumer Credit Counseling

179 Shrewsbury Street, Worcester, MA 01604
(508) 316-2195 or 800-769-3571
Services: personal and financial counseling, debt management and budget training

Money Management International (MMI)
340 Main Street, #813, Worcester, MA 01608
(866) 226-0278

Services: Personal and financial counseling, repayment programs, debt management and housing advising services

Neighborworks Homeownership Center
138 Green Street, Suite 4, Worcester, MA 01604
(508) 791-2170 x226
Services: Budget and credit counseling

RCAP Solutions
12 East Worcester Street, Worcester, MA 01604

Services: Budget and credit counseling


The Major Credit Bureaus:



1-888-EXPERIAN (397-3742)



Identity Theft

Identity theft is the stealing of someone’s personal information and using it to commit fraud or theft.

If you’re a victim of identity theft or think you may be:

–    Contact the fraud departments of each of the 3 major credit bureaus

–    Contact the security or fraud departments at each of your creditors, and follow up with a   letter

–    File a report with the police reporting the theft/fraud


For Help with Identity Theft:

The Federal Trade Commission’s Identity Theft Hotline
Or visit http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft


BAR None – Credit Reports and Identity Theft.
Visit http://www.dismasisfamily.org/programs/bar-none/ for more information.

Annual Credit Report Request Service
P.O. Box 105281 Atlanta, GA 30348-5281

License and Identification

City Clerk
City Hall, 455 Main Street, Room 206, Worcester, MA 01608
(508) 799-1121 / (508) 799-1133 (elections)
Services: Birth certificates, marriage licenses, voter registration

Registry of Motor Vehicles
611 Main Street, Worcester, MA 01608
(857) 368-8000
Services: Obtain or replace driver’s license or Mass ID, pay court fees and taxes, renew registrations.

Social Security Administration
51 Myrtle Street, Worcester, MA 01608
Services: Obtain or replace social security card.

BAR None
Services: License Suspension, Revocation and Reinstatement.
Visit http://www.dismasisfamily.org/programs/bar-none/ for more information.

Legal Groups

Community Legal Aid
405 Main Street, 4th Floor, Worcester, MA 01610
(508) 752-3718
Services: Offers legal advice and representation to clients with domestic violence, divorces, child custody, mental health and disability issues, denied benefits, welfare and public benefits as well as housing discrimination.
Fitchburg Satellite office (by appointment)
76 Summer Street, Fitchburg, MA 01420
General Inquiry: (508) 752-3718

Basic Advocacy for Reentry (BAR None)
30 Richards Street, Worcester, MA 01603
(508) 799-9389
Services: Education, advisement or direct representation for issues such as suspended drivers licenses, credit issues, child support issues, housing, child custody and visitation, disability claims and sealing of criminal record.

Mass Legal Help
Website: http://www.masslegalhelp.org
Services: Provides legal information regarding housing law, SSI and disability family law and domestic violence.

MetroWest Legal Services
63 Fountain Street, Suite 304, Framingham, MA 01702
(508) 620-1830/ 1-800-696-1501
Website: http://www.mwlegal.org/

MetroWest Mediation Services
94 Lincoln Street, Framingham, MA 01702
(508) 872-9495
Website: http://www.metrowestmediationservices.org/

Powered by WordPress | Designed by Elegant Themes