BAR None, Dismas House
The BAR None program offers legal assistance to citizens with criminal records by addressing civil matters that hinder successful reintegration into the local community. Legal assistance is provided free of charge.
This program addresses this need by assisting clients directly with representation, either by the advocate, or by matching clients with volunteer attorneys to handle issues most commonly encountered by recently re-entered individuals. Referrals to the program are made by local re-entry service providers in partnership with Dismas House to ensure on-site legal support. All assistance is provided free of charge.
BAR None director and attorneys (10-15 mentors and attorneys) will assist with the following legal issues:
- Suspended driver’s license
- Credit issues
- Child support issues
- Child custody/visitation issues
- Sealing of criminal record
BAR None will provide:
- Community outreach for referrals from the network of shelters, housing providers and correctional agencies.
- Recruitment and management of volunteer attorneys to represent former offenders
- Project management team under the direction of the Dismas Staff Attorney and co-executive director to ensure goals are met and progress is tracked.
- Project coordination under Dismas Staff Attorney to manage client referrals and intakes for representation on either brief or full case representation
- Management of a pool of pro-bono attorneys dedicated to resolving unmet needs for this population and matching clients to pro bono attorneys
- Provide malpractice insurance at no cost to volunteer attorneys
- Refer only cases that have been screened for eligibility and legal merit
- Refer cases to attorneys based on their expressed areas of interest
- Take volunteers’ schedules and other time commitments into account
- Supply backup support, case materials, access to interpreters/translators, and other service providers.
- Provide administrative assistance such as photo copying to attorneys.
- Assist attorneys with the Limited Assistance Representation process.